The Slightly Mad Housewife Rides Again!

The continuing saga of a chick with small children trying to find sanity in an insane world, and largely failing.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

2 Days Down, 3 To Go

VBS is in full swing. My class went from 12 kids to 16 to the final count of 18. I swear to you, I do not know how teachers do it!

Things are going ok, I guess. My co-teacher couldn't be there Monday and she'll miss part of tomorrow because of other commitments, and, to be quite honest, she was pretty darn useless today. I'll cut her some slack for being 7 months pregnant and never having done VBS here before, but honestly, my teenage helper did a lot more than she did.

*sigh* That's ok. I figured that I would have to shoulder almost all of the load this year.

I was a little unhappy that at the end of Monday I was informed that the director managed to secure a guest speaker after all, and that she would take up a block of time today. Two little problems with that:

1) We have our schedule blocked out in 20 min. increments, and she put the speaker into a spot crossing but not wholly encompassing 2 of those time blocks, which left me with two 10 minute periods to fill for which I didn't really have plans.

2) Because of the late notice on the speaker, I had to cancel my existing lesson plan for the day almost entirely. I spend money (a little) and time (a lot) planning and preparing for these things, and I hate it when all my effort is wasted like that. I'm going to push one of the activities to tomorrow, but that means I'll be out of sync with the lesson of the day.

That being said, most of the kids are very sweet, and most of them are well behaved, and I've only had to comfort about 5 or 6 crying kids per day. :-D It really is fun.

I did have the unfortunate experience of bringing my class down to the craft area as the 3 - 4 -year-olds were readying to leave to find that Zipper had an accident and left a big ol' puddle on the chair one of my class's kids was about to sit on. Of course I don't have extra clothes for Zipper, and of course I have to clean up my kid's mess (I suppose it's only fair). *sigh*

It's still not as bad as the famous "bean up the nose incident"! LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home