The Slightly Mad Housewife Rides Again!

The continuing saga of a chick with small children trying to find sanity in an insane world, and largely failing.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Minis Mania

Some years ago Ironwolf gave me the game Warhammer 40,000 as a gift. It's a miniatures-based tactical combat table game set in the far future. So I started collecting an army to play the game, but it's very expensive and I didn't really have anyone to play with.

A couple weeks ago I pulled out the minis again with an inexplicable desire to make them into a formidable fighting force, i.e. to paint them and make them look pretty, at least. I've gotten through my first batch and I wanted to show one off:



This is a Seraphim Sister Superior from the Witchhunters' Sisters of Battle Army.

For the real-life friends, this is a re-do of an old paint job. Did some touchups, painted a face (something I'm still terrible at), added hair highlights and robe lowlights, and redid the base.

I wish I wasn't so heavy-handed - sometimes I end up obscuring the details of the mini with too many layers of paint (because I mess up so much).

It's a hack job. If you really want to see nicely painted minis you can check out "Cool Mini or Not?"

Still, the painting is fun, and I'll put up a pic of the whole force in a couple months when I finish it (if I finish it). Mind you, I still won't have anyone to play with...

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael F Harris said...

I tried that with some old D&D figures a while ago. Mine came out much worse.

7/29/2006 10:32 PM  
Blogger ShadowAngel said...

Oh, you should see my first minis! I was doing them in enamels (like you would you to do car models). Oh, the tragedy, the humanity! LOL

7/29/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger ShadowAngel said...

Good suggestions as always Oni. Priming the sisters in this painting scheme has always been a pain - you use black, and it can be hard to layer so much white over it; you use white, but the figure is mostly black and it seems a waste.

I'm better at the details than I was, the problem is that fixing some of my more horrendous minis is nigh-impossible with all the gunk on them. Any suggestions about stripping minis down entirely?

8/01/2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger ShadowAngel said...

Good suggestions as always Oni. Priming the sisters in this painting scheme has always been a pain - you use black, and it can be hard to layer so much white over it; you use white, but the figure is mostly black and it seems a waste.

I'm better at the details than I was, the problem is that fixing some of my more horrendous minis is nigh-impossible with all the gunk on them. Any suggestions about stripping minis down entirely?

8/01/2006 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home