The Slightly Mad Housewife Rides Again!

The continuing saga of a chick with small children trying to find sanity in an insane world, and largely failing.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Hour 89

For those of you getting this through RSS, my apologies. It seems that I am incapable of doing simple addition in my head. I'm an idiot, but what else is new?

89 hours without power other than that provided by the generator. Counting my blessings. Hell, I'm even able to do laundry - I'm just limited to running one major appliance at a time. Still can't cook though because it draws too much power. So cooking is done on the grill or over my fondue pot's alcohol burner.

Some people still don't have hot water, or clean water. I think that because my town is one of the few places outside the city that has a reliable source of clean water that this is the reason that we are slated to be among the last communities for power restoration - now estimated for Sunday.

Half the neighborhood's abandoned. We cleaned up our own tree limbs and helped out a bit with the next-door neighbor's, plus Ironwolf has been hauling the generator to relatives' houses so they can get their homes a little warmer and get their basements pumped out.

Ironwolf had to work today (despite the fact that Amherst still has a driving ban), leaving us alone for the first time, but we are doing fine. Unfortunately, it looks like he will have to fly off to Michigan tomorrow evening, but it should just be for about a day. I'll just have to know how to get the generator running plus the specifics of the funky wiring job we've got going to support this.

So still doing ok, but it's going to be a long time before things get back to normal. I'll try to have some pics up tomorrow.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mz. Gydnew said...

Power won't be restored till Sunday?! OMG! I have never had to live without power for more than a couple of days. That just sucks!

Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you.

10/16/2006 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home